Don't mess with Beethoven

We've had an interesting query from Clare:

I need a word inventing. Any ideas?

Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata was originally composed for and with, a fascinating man called Bridgetower. The poor bloke fell out with Beethoven (over a woman) so he dedicated it instead to a chap called Kreutzer.

So despite it being originally written for Bridgetower, and Bridgetower playing it, which is something Kreutzer never did because he said it was too difficult, Bridgetower has slipped out of the history.

There’s a word for that, but I can’t think what it is. The only one I can think of is 'bummer'.

Beethoven: not a happy bunny

The word that comes immediately to mind is 'Kreutzered', as in 'Bridgetower was Kreutzered by Beethoven'. I checked with Apus and he concurred, adding that it sounded "suitably Germanic".

I thought also that the story is a classical music version of gazumping - in a way, Bridgetower was gazumped as Beethoven's friend by Kreutzer - but I'm not sure this word has ever been used outside the context of property buying.

Does anyone else out there have any ideas? Or examples of being Kreutzered?

No comments: