Feeling tense(s): launch of a new product

All the subs I know have grown used to writers reporting "the launch of a new product" and, until they become worn down and cynical, have taken the time to explain (gently or not) to the writers concerned that if it ain't new you can't launch it.

All the writers for the magazine whose engine room JD and I inhabit (and why doesn't 'which' have a possessive form, by the way?) have been lectured on this silly redundancy. But bless 'em, they can't resist it – the latest example arrived today, fresh from the keyboard of our generally admirable editor.

Will I explain it to him again? Will I remind our charges yet again that "making plans for the future" also contains a redundancy as you can't easily make plans for the past?

JD certainly would, but he's half my age and has yet to become as worn down and cynical as me (but you will, chum... you will).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can if it's a space shuttle - Dylan

Anonymous said...

If a company launches a new product with the same name as its predeccessor, for example, the Ford Mondeo, then I reckon it's perfectly justifiable to say Ford launches the new Mondeo, thus differentiating it from the old Mondeo.

Colin

JD (The Engine Room) said...

A valid point there, Colin – perhaps the exception that proves Apus' rule?

Apus said...

.... and, as I'm sure JD knows, 'prove' in this phrase equates to 'test', as in 'proof marks' on a firearm.

So to test this rule (I hesitate to claim it for me own), note Colin's use of the definite article. Yes, you could launch 'the new Mondeo' is, as the definite article implies, there is also an old Mondeo.

But would Colin write 'Ford is launching a new model called the Mondeo'?

And Dylan – no one likes a smartarse ;)