Word of the day: Tudorbethan

I've just finished a short evening course on architecture, which I've found to be a wonderful way to discover new words. One that came up in our final session is 'Tudorbethan', obviously a portmanteau of 'Tudor' and 'Elizabethan'. At the time I thought it was just a slip of the tongue by our tutor or perhaps just part of his idiolect - but then I checked Wikipedia and it turns out that 'Tudorbethan' is a recognised synonym for what I would call 'Mock Tudor'.

Indeed, it's interesting that Wikipedia's page on the architectural style is titled Tudorbethan rather than Mock Tudor, suggesting the former label is the more well known or widely used.

Anyway, I won't go into two much detail because I would just be ripping off Wikipedia - but I thought I would share the word with you all. And here's a picture of something suitably Tudorbethan:


Anonymous said...

Is that in any way related to "Jacobethan"? I once lived in an apartment building that I found out was considered to be one of the earliest examples of "Jacobethan architecture" in the area.

The Ridger, FCD said...

Jacobethan is the style designation coined in 1933 by John Betjeman to describe the English Revival style made popular from the 1830s, which derived most of its inspiration and its repertory from the English Renaissance (1550 - 1625), with elements of Elizabethan and Jacobean.

(yes, wikipedia)

Anonymous said...

Is "two much detail" exactly double the amount required?

JD (The Engine Room) said...

Thanks, Clutchslip.

Either the readers of this blog are becoming less observant or they are becoming more polite - not sure which!