Line breaks and Blogger

Hmm. Spotted something odd with Blogger.

If you leave one blank line after a blockquote in a Blogger post (ie two line breaks), that one blank line isn't displayed when you 'Show Original Post' in the Comments section for that post. In other words, the bottom (but not the top) of the blockquote butts up against the rest of the copy, as this picture shows:



However if you leave two blank lines after a blockquote (three line breaks), the 'Show Original Post' option shows one blank line between the blockquote and the rest of the copy, and everything is dandy. Admittedly, you now have two blank lines under the pullquote in the post itself, but that isn't as confusing as having no blank lines at all in 'Show Original Post'.

The same holds true for a [Photo].

Is this just my blog/template/setup? And is it worth going back and adding an extra line break to all my posts?

3 comments:

The Ridger, FCD said...

No, it's all of them. It's similar to the "view" on the List page - so I assume that if you have line breaks inside the blockquote they'll vanish (my blog has a popup for comments so there isn't a "show original post" option, but they vanish in the view.

Blogger handles line breaks strangely - if you have any hard returns inside a table, for instance, they all pile up as blank lines before the table in the post.

I don't know that it's worth going back and fixing, but others may disagree. I'd do it in future though, were I you.

JD (The Engine Room) said...

Thanks – in a strange way, that's good to know. I probably won't go back and fix all my old posts, unless I get *really* bored or seriously need to procrastinate over something else.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean?