Word of the day: Wiiitis

Back in the early 1990s, a US doctor identified a medical condition among the video-game-playing community called Nintendinitis. This is the thumb soreness caused by too much controller button-bashing, and I'm sure many Engine Room readers can relate.

Now gamers are suffering a new condition: Wiiitis (pronounced 'wee-EYE-tis', I presume). This has been identified by a Boston doctor called Dr Bonis who gave himself a form of tennis elbow through hours of playing simulated tennis on his Nintendo Wii games console.

Fortunately, the treatment for acute Wiiitis is simple: "ibuprofen for one week, as well as complete abstinence from playing Wii video games", according to the doc.

(Incidentally, I wonder if there is a medical name for the red weals in the centre of the palm many gamers gave themselves rotating a controller thumbstick in games such as Mario Party? And on a personal level, I once suffered from 'Sensible Fingers' - my digits cramped playing too much Sensible Soccer on my PC keyboard...)

Thanks to Sarah for bringing this to our attention!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sensible Fingers... I'm not a fan of football games, but I'd love to go to my doctor with that complaint. Could this sort of thing translate into psychological illnesses? Sim-City Megaolmaniac tendencies, anyone?

Anonymous said...

My word...Surely people have more to do than get injured whilst playing too much on their computer consoles...

I spend 9 hours a day on a computer perhaps I should invent a new word for when your bottom goes numb from sitting on cheap office chairs?? Maybe there already is a word for it...