Beckham: true to himself

From the Engine Room inbox:

Spotted this little gem in a particularly bad local magazine that drops through our door every month or so.

“Of course, David Beckham is first and foremost a footballer, and every youngster who ever kicked a football will harbour the desire to play like Beckham. The young David Beckham was no exception to this desire...”

Ignoring the mangling of the various tenses in this statement, and the suggestion that youngsters born in 1900 would have subliminally wanted to play like a man who wouldn’t be born for 75 years, I particularly enjoyed the suggestion that David Beckham’s only ambition when growing up was to play like David Beckham. Well, I wanted to play like me, and I achieved that, but it didn’t do me a whole lot of good!

No comments: