Friday roundup: more blogs, Flickr, Nemi

So our blogroll is starting to settle down but we have a couple more additions.

North Downs and Beyond isn't related to language but it's written by my line manager and shows that it's possible for journalists to have lives outside their publications. Plus, even if you don't have much interest in "thoughts and reports of the natural world from north Surrey", the photography is nice – as you might expect from an art editor.

TootsNYC regularly comments on The Engine Room, and recently started up her own blog about words. Check it out – but remember to come back!

***

You may or may not have noticed, but The Engine Room now has a presence on photo-sharing website Flickr. At the moment all I've uploaded are some of the photos that you've already seen in my blog posts, but just as soon as I work out how to get the pictures off my mobile phone and onto my work Mac, then there'll be lots of new things to gawp at. I'll keep you informed.

***

Lastly, I really did intend not to carry on with the language-related comic strips, but then I saw this Nemi in yesterday's Metro (see, the London freesheets are good for something). As usual, click for a larger image...


Incidentally, I am currently taken with the word 'cruciform'.

8 comments:

lynneguist said...

Now I want to know what the good/horrible words were in the original Norwegian version of Nemi. Unfortunately, the only on-line archive I can find of it only goes up to 2006.

Unknown said...

Forgive me if this is obvious to you...

Assuming you have bluetooth on your phone it should be pretty straightforward to get the photos off - you can use Bluetooth file exchange (in the utilities folder) and choose 'Browse Device' from the file menu. You may well need to add your phone as a bluetooth device in System preferences first.

Hope that's of some help
Benj

Steve Gale said...

Thanks for the blog plug JD. Consider a big fat bonus at Christmas coming your way!!!
Steve

Apus said...

Every time I hear the word cruciform it makes me so cross...

TootsNYC said...

Thanks for the shout-out!

(of course, now I have to post semi-regularly)

And I need to get my own blog roll going. Just need to figure out how.

I always have a fun time when I come to The Engine Room, even on the days I just watch.

JD (The Engine Room) said...

Thanks, Benjamin; I do indeed have Bluetooth on my phone but my Mac is apparently lacking a 'Bluetooth module' and I can't think of a sufficiently good excuse to ask the IT department for one.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the last word in the Norwegian version, the bad word, was snerk, i.e. the film that can form on hot chocolate when it's properly made. I can't remember the others

Cool to see that Nemi is being read outside of Norway! Out of curiosity; how do you find the translation?

JD (The Engine Room) said...

The Nemi translation must be good because I didn't realise that it was originally Norwegian until a Metro reader wrote in to ask why Nemi was still smoking in pubs despite the UK smoking ban...