Recently I spotted an unusual, if ugly, example of verbing (creating a verb from another part of speech) on the front page of the Independent: "How to social network"
This is interesting because 'network' is already commonly both a noun and a verb; what the Independent has verbed is the entire noun phrase 'social network'. (Compare with 'how to socially network'.)
I suspect the Independent has verbed the noun phrase because of severe space limitations on the cover – otherwise it may have preferred something along the lines of 'guide to social networking' or 'how to use social networks'.
Hmm, I can't find any reference to 'how to social network' on the Independent Online, but here's someone else using the phrase (good article too).
14 Years of My Work Just Vanished From the Web
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
My favorite example of unusual verbing was a sign on the outside of a convenience store here in Florida. The owners were warning underage customers about trying to buy beer and cigarettes. The sign said, "We I.D." What other language could make a verb out of initials? It's what makes my students think they can say, "Nosotros fiesta durante los fines de semana" in Spanish: just take any word, put a subject pronoun in front of it, and voilĂ : a verb!
Post a Comment